I have officially lapped the sun 24 times. It’s funny because at one point in my life I felt like 24 was so old, but now that I am here I feel like my life is only beginning. I still find it miraculous that I am considered an adult and get to make choices for my life because most of the time I feel like I am just a kid.
I know that I have so much to learn for the rest of my life, but I am grateful for what I have learned so far. Of course this list of 24 things is not everything I have learned, but these are what are the most important to me at this time. I hope you can learn something from this list.
1. The Universe has a plan. As much as I would like to think I make the plans for my life, I know that I do not have complete control of what will happen.
2. Family (blood related or chosen) is so important. Hold on to the people you love.
3. Showing people how much they mean to you is so important. You may think they already know, but always remind them.
4. Your worst critic is yourself, but you can also be your biggest cheerleader. Take note of how you treat yourself and talk to/about yourself.
5. Knowing your worth and setting boundaries for yourself is life changing. Don’t let people walk all over you.
6. If you don’t allow yourself to rest you will get burned out and crash hard. It’s not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. Take a few minutes each day to let yourself relax and unwind.
7. You should never stop learning. Even if you think you know everything about a certain topic, you don’t. Be open to learning everyday.
8. Asking for help can be hard, but if it’s what you need, do it. Whatever you need help with, it is okay.
9. Being scared of what other people will think of you is normal, but it ultimately doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks of you. Are you proud of yourself? Then that’s all that matters.
10. Do something everyday to make someone else’s day. One compliment can change someone’s day.
11. Being vulnerable is scary but it is also rewarding. Tear down the walls you have built up to “protect” you, they really are keeping you from sharing your life with someone else.
12. Balance is key. In all areas of your life work towards balance.
13. Having a handful of people like you for the real you feels a lot better than a bunch of people liking a fake version of yourself.
14. You never know who looks up to you. By being your authentic self you could help someone in a way you never imagined.
15. There is a difference between asking for someone’s advice and needing someone’s approval. Advice is a great tool to get an objective view on a situation, approval means you don’t value your own opinion as much as someone else’s.
16. Washing your hands 373282934763832487 times during a pandemic will lead to some funky textured skin on your hands.
17. If you feel like you need to buy something RIGHT NOW you are probably trying to avoid some feelings that have come up. It is better for your wallet and your mind to get out a journal and figure out what you are trying to avoid inside your brain.
18. If your body decides it doesn’t handle caffeine anymore, you can drink decaf coffee. Coffee is like a hug in a mug.
19. There are very few things that are black or white, most things are many shades of grey. Is there any other way to look at a thing/situation than the way you are looking at it?
20. Don’t pretend to know what something means if you don’t. Ask what something means or do your own research.
21. If you are always helping others and not helping yourself, you won’t be able to help others to the best of your abilities. Fill your cup first and it will benefit all parties in the long run.
22. The only person you are guaranteed to have in your life for life is you. Make sure you are good at being alone and like yourself.
23. Sometimes you have to fake your confidence to make it a reality. Stick your chin up and know that you are worthy of whatever you want.
24. You do not know how much time you have on this Earth so live each day to your fullest potential.
This list is personal to my life and my experiences, but I believe other people can relate to it. Please share anything you want about what you have learned throughout your lifetime!
Always have an open mind to learn!
Until next time,